Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ice cube trays!

When I first arrived here, I complained about the fact that there is no such thing as an ice cube tray in Dalian. I think the rest of the world thinks Americans are crazy for watering our drinks down with melting ice, but I missed the luxury of an ice-cold Coke or a cold glass of water.

A few friends helpfully suggested that I get some flexible Tupperware-type containers, fill them a bit, then twist out the ice when it froze. Brilliant!

Ice-cube trays, Dalian-style:


Trouble is, the ice had a tendency to break into pieces that were just a little too big to fit into the glass, but too small for me to get leverage to break again. Resulting in this:


















Often, I just gave up and poured my water straight into the ice-cube trays. Drink up!




(I think you can tell I've still got a little bit of a fever, but it's not too bad any more.)







Then today, there came in the mail a box from my friend Beth, who was one of my professors in grad school at the University of Texas. Ice-cube trays, Texas-style!

Yes, that is the map of Texas. Gotta love Texas regional pride!

Thank you, Beth!

No comments:

Post a Comment