Sunday, November 29, 2015

Russians and Japanese

Got on the elevator with the two doglets. A skinny old guy (maybe mid-fifties) was already there, puffing away at a cigarette. He was quite friendly.
"What country are you from," he asked.
I said, as I always do, "China."
He laughed. "No, really!"
I responded: "Of course I'm Chinese. I can read Chinese, whereas you obviously can't." He laughed again.
Then I pointed to the very prominent sign which reads "Please do not smoke here" in perfectly good Chinese. I scolded him for being a Japanese in China, and I read each character out loud. 
(Calling a Chinese person Japanese is like calling Donald Trump a Mexican. YUUge insult!)
He laughed a big belly-laugh, and said "You're Russian?" 
I said yes, I'm Russian. Then the elevator door finally opened and let some fresh air in.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robert, so surprise to find your blogs!!!
    I'm Karin, do you still remember me? We met several times when you first came to Dalian around 2009. And I remember you lived in the teacher's apartment of DUFE then. How time flies! So glad you are still in Dalian.
    If you remember me, please contact me.
    dlxq31@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand your problem; as a smoker China sounds like a paradise! On that note, I'm going outside for a smoke. B.

    ReplyDelete